Top five summer skin care tips
With summer weather comes outdoor activities, and while getting tan was once viewed as a great thing, it’s important to protect your skin from the sun and maintain a proper skincare routine during this time of year. Fortunately, We have put together a list of the “Top 5 Summer Skin Care Tips” to give some tips on keeping your skin healthy.
- Protect It All. Sun protection is a must for healthy skin all year round, but it is especially important in the summer when the ultraviolet radiation in sunlight is at its most intense. You should apply 1 ounce of broad-spectrum sunscreen from head to toe 30 minutes before sun exposure and then every 2 hours afterward or more frequently if you swim or sweat. Make sure that you cover every exposed part with sunscreen. Don’t forget your ears, your neck or the tops of your feet! Also, use a lip balm with SPF protection to protect your lips, which can also sunburn.
- Fight Dehydration. Sun exposure causes rapid evaporation of moisture from your skin, leaving it dehydrated. Use a hydrating mist before reapplying your sunscreen and let it soak into your skin to revive and rejuvenate your complexion. Use a moisturizing night cream with antioxidants to help your face recover from your day in the sun. Slather on a moisturizing body lotion to all other areas that basked in the summer sun before heading to bed.
- Keep Oil at Bay. Summer humidity can lead to problems with oily skin for some women, and if you’re among them, you may end up with acne breakouts or enlarged pores. Switch to an oil-free moisturizer and a foaming cleanser for your daily skin care routine to counteract the effects of summer weather. When blemishes appear, use a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide or tea tree oil to speed up healing and help unblock your pores.
- Even It Out. Even when you use an effective sunscreen, you may still develop splotchy redness following sun exposure. This is typically a temporary problem, but it can make it difficult to look your best during the summer months. Applying a CC cream before your foundation will help to even out your skin tone and disguise imperfections while also providing you with SPF protection.
- Slough It Off. Be sure to exfoliate your skin at least once per week during the summer months. This will help to remove tissue that has been damaged by the sun and keep your pores clear to decrease the risk of summer acne. If you have sensitive or dry skin, try using a mild natural exfoliating mask or a scrub with moisturizing beads. For an oily or combination complexion, an alpha hydroxy acid peel is a smart summer exfoliation choice.
Keep up this routine until the summer turns to fall, and then reevaluate your skin care needs for the new season.